Sunday, April 10, 2011

My experiments with Slow cooker series - Chicken Palak Curry (No Oil)

I wanted to cook the chicken in slow cooker without any browing and oil. I tried this chicken curry and it worked well. Chicken leaves enough oil on its own and combined with Dahi we get  decent amount of gravy.

Since I did not want to cook chicken before I transferred to slow cooker, I used fresh chopped ginger and garlic instead of ginger garlic paste which I felt requires pre cooking on high flame or microwave to remove the raw smell.

 
Chicken Palak Curry (No Oil)
Ingredients :
500 gms medium cut Chicken
2 Handfuls of Palak
3 Tbsp Curd
1 Inch Fresh Ginger
4 Garlic Cloves
1/2 Tsp Jeera powder
3/4 Tsp Red Chilli powder
1 Tsp Dhaniya Powder
1/2 Tsp Garam Masala Powder
1/4 Tsp Turmeric Powder
1 Tsp Whoe Jeera
2 Bay leaf
4 Cloves
8 Pepper Corns
Salt to taste

In the slow Add chicken,curd,whole  jeera,bayleaf,cloves,pepper corns,chopped Ginger and Garlic,turmeric powder,jeera powder,red chilli powder, dhaniya powder, garam masala powder, Palak, Salt.

Mix them well and let it cook for 3 to 3.5 hrs on High. Check after 3 hrs and if the chicken is well done, then turn it off, otherwise leave for about 0.5 hr more.

Mine is narrow based bottom, so the chicken peices at bottom tend to get overcooked if the water released by chicken is more. So I stir them well once in evey hour. It you have big slow cooker, that may not be an issue.

Serve hot with roti.

No comments:

Post a Comment